Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Philippians 2:3 - A Radical Me-Reduction


’...nothing according to self-seeking nor according to vainglory but rather by lowmindedness ruling one another [as] exceeding themselves...’

-me-first, me-better.  that is the default position for the sons of adam and daughters of eve.  in this verse, self-seeking is eritheia, a base self-seeking which is unable shift its gaze to higher things.  this person is only in it for themselves.  me first.  paul used it in phil 1.17 to describe those who were only thinking of themselves as they thought to cause him trouble somehow by preaching the Gospel.  vainglory is kenodoxia, from kenos (empty), and doxia (glory).  it is a delusional and overblown sense of self-worth.  me better.  as we consider the importance of the understanding mind (phren) in relationships and functioning within the Body, paul is calling out any attitude of me-first-me-better, and saying, get rid of any hint of such thoughts, understand that there is no place for that mindset in the Body of Christ. 

-and the greek simply says ‘nothing’.  most versions render it as ‘do/doing nothing’.  some commentators suggest it should be ‘thinking nothing’.  but it is simply nothing.  ‘nothing from me-first-me-better...’  there is to be no room or quarter given to any hint of me-first, me-better in our thoughts or actions.  and in order for this to happen, each one of us definitely needs some radical soul-surgery, a me-ectomy.  not a full ectomy per se - more of a me-reduction... a radical me-reduction.

-yes indeed, because instead there is to be lowmindedness.  the word is tapeinophrosyné, from tapeinos, which describes something lowly or even servile, and phrén, which we have already seen denotes our mind and understanding.  this lowly perspective must take the lead (hégeomai, which is the initiative/decision of a leader - cf mt 2.6, lk 22.26) to decide to relate to others as though they are better than me.  the word is hyperecho, which means to hold over.  it describes something that towers over or stands out above something else, particularly in an elevated position or in one of power.  it is the position of a king or others in authority (rom 13.1, 1tim 2.2, 1pet 2.13).  we are talking about a conscious attitude of considering my fellow believers in Christ as being better than me, relating to them as though they are a king or queen, treating them with respect and courtesy and deference.  what if Christ-followers treated each other like royalty?  and it’s not that i treat them like a fellow monarch.  it is as though they are the monarch, and i am not.  others better.

-one might ask, to what extent am i to extend this royal treatment to unbelievers?  paul gives us no hint here.  elsewhere in Scripture we see that believers are to be good loving neighbors who meet needs, defending the defenseless, helping the helpless, respectful and submitting to all those in authority, honoring others esp the king (1pet 2.17, rom 13.7).  and yet we don’t really find the same level and quality of self-abandonment.

-but the paradox in the greek here is really fascinating - i am to make a ruling (in my mind at least) - just like a king or queen would - that my fellow Christ-followers are the real kings and queens.  i get off my throne and put them on it.  others better.  i have a long, long way to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment