Monday, April 27, 2015

Philippians 3:16 - Snacking on rubbish

"However, unto what we attained, to the same to be keeping in step.’

-As his readers are forgetting what lies behind, Paul doesn’t want them to do anything which might actually cause them to regress in their relationship with or service for Christ.  We are not paying for the same ground twice.  Beginning my obedience and pursuit again today as if I have done nothing for Christ does not mean that I abandon or forget the lessons He’s taught me or the great things He has done in and through me.  I do not ever reboot or reinstall my commitment level to that of some elementary beginner.

-Yes, we are called upward, and the bar is set high.  The standard for those who know and follow Christ is excellence - growing, overflowing, and beautiful (cf Philippians 1.10, Philippians 4.8, 1Thessalonians 4.1, 1Peter 2.12, 2Peter 1.1-8).  Make it your goal to passionately pursue excellence every day.  Love and practice and think about and meditate on and be absorbed in things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  If it is not excellent, don’t do it, don’t associate with it, don’t even think about it.  Don’t settle for things or behavior that are merely ok or are second rate.  Yes, sometimes even the good can be the enemy of what is best.  ‘There’s nothing wrong with it’ is an oft-used phrase to try and excuse involvement with things which may be permissible but which are not truly excellent, which are not morally or spiritually beautiful, which do not profit or build up (Romans 14.19, 1Corinthians 8.1, 1Corinthians 10.23, 1Corinthians 14.26, Ephesians 4.16, Ephesians 4.29, 1Thessalonians 5.11, Jude 20).  Worse yet is doing something iffy or questionable but which i think i can get away with.  Even if nobody sees or knows, God sees.  God knows.  And I know.  My soul knows it very well, and when I'm snacking on rubbish, I’m hurting myself as much as anyone.  Let’s stop. Munching. On. Manure.

No comments:

Post a Comment