Monday, June 15, 2015

Philippians 4:23 - What we really need

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ [be] with your spirit."  


-Shalom/peace was at that time and continues to this day to be the standard word for Jewish greetings as well as leavetakings - we even see Jesus using this greeting (John 20.19, John 20.21, John 20.26).  Yet even by the time Paul wrote this it had apparently become more desirable for him to simply extend wishes for grace in his leavetakings than wishes for peace.  Paul does tend to include both concepts in his greetings, but here in saying goodbye he wishes the Philippians grace only, a pattern which repeats itself in pretty much all of his letters.  We do not see this in Peter (1Peter 5.14) or John (3John 15).  Which begs the question - why was it that Paul had departed from this long-standing and enduring Jewish linguistic and social custom?  What had persuaded him to abandon customary wishes for peace in his leavetakings in favor of giving wishes for grace to his audience?  To be sure everybody wants peace, the shalom after which the people of Israel have strived for millennia (Jeremiah 29.7, Psalm 122.6) - but everybody desperately needs grace.  Unmerited favor, that which I don’t deserve when in fact I deserve something else.  I need grace for eternity, and I need grace each and every day.  Because once I realize that there is in fact an Intelligent Designer Who made everything including me, and that He is perfect and holy, I realize that I am not only accountable to Him but also that I have absolutely nothing with which to commend myself to Him.  I need Him to accept me in spite of me (which in fact He is actually fully prepared to do, having offered a way thru Jesus).  I then need daily provision of divine favor and strength just to provide for and take care of my family and to navigate the challenges associated with living in a world where stuff breaks down.  Everything breaks down - 2nd law of thermodynamics.  The current system is actually wired against peace.  There will actually be no full realization of peace this side of eternity, until the broken world is set right and the broken people are made right.  But grace.  We all need it.  We would all love to find peace, because that’s what we were designed for (paradise), but right now we desperately need grace.  Grace, the great common pressing need of all humanity, and totally available for everyone right now through Jesus Christ.  This is likely why Paul (for one) had chosen to change what he said in his leavetakings.

No comments:

Post a Comment