Monday, July 18, 2016

Ephesians 1:10 - ALL things in Christ

"...unto [the] management of the fullness of the times, to sum up the all [things] in Christ, the [things] upon the heavens and the [things] upon the earth in Him..."

-Time is in the hands of our Creator God.  Not just the Grand Watchmaker, winding up time and letting it go, He manages and pours out the moments and seasons and epochs like so much time in a bottle, and that bottle is gradually fillling up.  One day soon, before we know it, time will be up, the bottle will be finally full, and that will be the end of time as we know it.  There will be no more time, for anything, only for all to be judged on how they related to His Son, Jesus Christ, and then time for the great eternal party in heaven which will be bound by no clock whatsoever.  Timeless.

-ALL things will be summed up in Christ.  Each person’s thoughts and words and deeds and motives, everything about them will be added up, and, simply put, if Christ is in the equation, you pass.  If He is not, you shall not pass.  If Christ is not in your life, if you never trusted in Him and remained separated from God in this life, you will continue separated from God in the next.  What is at stake here is beyond calculating, in fact, as that next life has two possibilities, extreme polar opposites, one which is indescribably glorious and the other so grave as to be avoided at all costs (and actually the cost was already paid by Christ - which is exactly why He needs to be in our equation to begin with).

-Beyond this we are talking about ALL things in Christ.  Everything, not one thing will be excepted, whether it is something on earth, or something in the heavenly realm, all things will ultimately be subjected to Him and viewed in how they relate to Him.  He is the Way, the Truth, the Life.  He is Messiah, the Chosen One, the Beginning and the End.  It has always been going to be all about Jesus, even from before the very beginning, which is exactly why if I aspire to name the Name of Jesus and be found in Him I must be learning to always and increasingly be all about Jesus.  He must increase, I must decrease, more of Him and less of me.  More of Him in me and more of me in Him.  More of my stuff and my wants and my time and my free time and my pasttimes and my dreams surrendered and caught up and found in Him.  which I actually find is the better (and best) place to be after all, as my deep-seated wants and needs spawned by the infinite spiritual abyss will never be filled apart from my Creator - all things in Christ is that for which I was designed from before the beginning, life as it was always meant to be lived....


-To quote CS Lewis: “Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.”

And to be sure, that "something else" is Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment