Saturday, September 10, 2016

Ephesians 2:2 - The cult of the dead

"...in which formerly you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the authority of the air, the spirit the [one] now working in the sons of disobedience..."


-Everybody’s doing it (and so were you).  Not simply an excuse or justification for making bad choices, it is in this case universally true, a sad indictment of the sons of Adam.  The great and terrible parade of humanity, this - blindly goose-stepping their way towards the precipice of an eternity separated from their surpassingly glorious and awesome Creator, spurred on and led by the deceiver himself, the father of lies, who was a liar from the beginning.  Questioning and challenging God and His Word and what He wants, choosing to do what I want instead, testing and failing God in my mind and subsequently given over to a mind that fails the test, falling short and missing out on glory at every turn.  I am lost, but I don’t even realize it because I am in such good company, everyone around me heading in the same direction, a rushing river of lost souls coursing its way in the wrong direction, away from God, just as deceived and lost as I am.  And therein lies the pernicous power of the lie.  When I am wounded or burgled or otherwise overtly transgressed against, I know it, but when I am deceived, I do not.  Thus I am lost, I am deceived, surrounded by a host of other souls blindly wandering about in similar straits.  It has all the earmarks of a cult, actually, an entire system designed to pull the wool over our eyes and to keep us there, trapped, enslaved to sin, born into disobedience and unable to avoid it, dead and dying, helpless and hopeless or with false hope at best.  And I truly am helpless - unable to help myself at all - when I am dead...  I need rescuing.  Read on...

No comments:

Post a Comment