Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ephesians 3:14 - All knees...

"For the sake of this I am bending the knees of me toward the Father..."

-Paul is back on track at last.  This multi-national Church which God is gathering and which He has called Paul to help build supplies him with the motivation and the incentive to bow his knees before the Father.  And that would be both knees, not just one.  Normally a position for prayer, this (although sadly not a normal position), but more specifically this is a picture of dependence and reverence.  I rather doubt that Paul needed any extra motivation for prayer or for depending on the Lord.  His was not seasonal or occasioned by some unsolvable crisis.  But Paul is making a point of emphasis that this thing (or things) for which he is praying is not some flippant fly-by-night request tossed up to the heavenlies, a little dab'll-do-ya and a dash of prayer for favor.  He's not just stopping in to pick up a quart of milk and a pack of blessings at the heavenly convenience store.  Paul means to do some serious business in the throne room of Heaven, and the stakes could not be higher.


-Which begs the question, what is the reason for which I bow my knees before the Father?  Is there any serious business that I ever do with the King of Heaven?  Is there any reason, anything at all that drives me to my knees, in dependence, in reverence, in worship, in desperation?  Am I ever awestruck or woefully undone or desperately inadequate in any way?  Is there anything?  Something other than some formulaic ritual in a religious service, or perhaps when I have reached the end of my rope, the end of myself, when I have exhausted all other options except the One to which I should have turned to begin with?  The sad truth is that I bow my knees intermittently at best.  Very rarely do I pause long enough to get a glimpse of God's glory and then allow myself to be floored by it (figuratively or literally).  All too often I turn to the unholy trinity of me-myself-and-I.  I can handle it myself.  Either that or I have yet to fully commit myself to a cause or endeavor big enough or daunting enough to elicit much knee-bowing behavior on my part.  Failing here, I fail ultimately.  One day I will stand before that heavenly throne, or rather bow, falling on my knees before the Glorious One Who sits upon it (ALL knees will bow), and I will be called to give an account for how I lived my vaporously brief life here on earth, how I invested the time and the blessings and the gifts He gave to me to make an eternal difference in the world and in the lives of those around me.  Believing prayer moves mountains.  What am I moving?

No comments:

Post a Comment