Sunday, June 25, 2017

Ephesians 5:15 - Eschewing sunscreen and cotton candy

"Therefore be watching how you [all] are walking, not as unwise but rather as wise...’

-Same song, second verse.  We are called, redeemed, and set apart to be light, children of the Light, lighting up the darkness with goodness and righteousness and truth.  This is exactly what God set us apart to do and be in Christ, why He sent His Son to die for us and then left us here for a beautiful season of opportunity.  And it is on us to make sure that happens.  So Paul exhorts us, watch out!  Be on the lookout, and look carefully at your life, at what you are doing and saying.  We are the ones who are responsible for waking up and letting the light of Christ shine in our hearts and through our lives.  God has given us Light - what am I going to do with it?


-There are two possible responses here.  One is unwise.  The other is... (wait for it...) wise.  The unwise path is taken by the one who in spite of receiving the Light decides to join in with the deeds of darkness, to live a life of hiding, a life of immorality and greed and filthy words, always putting something else in God’s place in their heart.  The unwise path means ignoring the Light and pursuing counterfeit lesser realms of satisfaction.  It is the choice to subsist on so much cotton candy - to see and come out into the Light and still walk in darkness is surely the height of stupidity.  Wisdom, however, says there is an I AM, always and forever every moment of every day a God with Whom I have to do, and I am not He.  He is far greater, and He is way better.  Wisdom journeys in this Light, soaking up all the shining rays of God’s blazing breathtaking goodness at every turn (no sunscreen necessary).  The wise response involves being on constant lookout for ways which my life may not be pleasing to the Lord, which may not be showing off His breathtaking goodness and holiness and truth.  That path is a slippery slope of baby steps and compromise, indulging my fleshy desires in small little bites and before I know it I am journeying away from the Light in my heart.  I must be on constant watch each and every day against both my flesh and against any outside influence which may endeavor to entice me back into the darkness, back into hiding, away from my lewis-onian holiday at the beach and back to making mudpies in the slum.  Watch out, my friend...!

No comments:

Post a Comment