Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Ephesians 6:9 - The Mindset of A Leader

"And the lords, the same things be doing towards them, giving up the threatening, having known that the Lord of both them and of you is in heaven and favoritism is not with Him."

-Lords, do the same things to them, to your slaves, towards those who in a free society serve under your authority.  These ‘same things’ are good things (v. 8) done with good will - AS TO THE LORD (v. 7), with fear and trembling (v. 6).  So obviously we are talking about those in authority who are God-fearing, who understand that there is a God in heaven with Whom I have to do, Who sees everything I do and knows every intention of my heart, and Who will hold me accountable for how I have treated those under my authority.  And so the way I lead them, speak to them, care for them, I strive to do so in a way that pleases the Lord of heaven, Who happens to be the ultimate Lord of anyone who might be serving under whatever authority He has entrusted to me.  It is a divine stewardship, and He will certainly hold me accountable.


-Paul specifically states that leaders are to give up threatening those under their authority.  A threat can be overt, but can also be more subtle.  Implied.  In truth a threat is a mechanism wielded by a maniac (cf Acts 9.1), specifically an ego-maniac.  To employ a threat is abusive and manipulative and excessive use of my power (God’s power!) leveraged in order to more fully secure some desired action from another.  It has a narcotic effect on my mind, makes me feel good, better about myself.  It is fostered in a seedbed of perceived superiority, where I presume that I am somehow better than this person, possessing greater dignity or worth than they.  The reality may very well be that in my threat I trying to compensate for my own insecurity.  I am nothing more than a playground bully, grasping at a glimmer of greater size or power in an attempt to intimidate another and make myself feel better about me in the process.  Um, no way, says Paul.  Uh-uh.  In God’s eyes, we are equals.  The Lord of lords totally levels every playing field.  I am no better (cf Philippians 2.3-4).  This attitude I must keep in mind as I wield God’s authority - whatever authority I may happen to have over another person has come from above and has not come to me because I am God’s favorite or somehow better or special or more deserving than they.  God has put me in this position, yes, but it is His authority, His power which I wield, and I must wield it wisely, with humility and in good faith, with purity and patience and gentleness and self-control and mercy and goodness and consistency and without any tinge of hypocrisy or severity (cf Leviticus 25.43, James 3.17).  Grace be with me, and with us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment