Tuesday, May 14, 2019

1Timothy 4:5 - In here...

”For it is being made holy through [the] Word of God and prayer.”

-These createds, these things which God made - various foods, the institution of marriage, etc - they are good!  What they are is essentially morally neutral.  They are not at all unclean in and of themselves (cf Acts 10.15, Romans 14.14), but neither are they particularly holy or salvific - partaking or participating with them does not earn us any better standing in God’s eyes (1Corinthians 8.8).  God’s kingdom is not “out there”, in what I eat or drink or in any of that of which I partake.  It doesn’t depend on whether or not I relate to any created thing per se.  Again, it begins “in here”, right here in my heart.  It’s about how I relate to the Lord, in my heart - everything else flows from that.

-What I think Paul is saying here, though, is that created things can in fact take on a kind of holiness, a special set-apartness to the Lord based on what He says about them in His Word (that HE made them and that they ARE good), and when I then receive them with prayers of thanksgiving.  I gratefully acknowledge any and all of these as created by God, as His good gifts and as His provision of all that I need for today and for a life of faith and service.  And in acknowledging them, I am acknowledging Him.  This is the daily exercise of the redeemed, who retain in mind the(ir) all-Good Creator and who strive with all their might in that power which He so abundantly supplies to worship and serve Him, the gloriously incorruptible God (cf Romans 1.23, 25, 28), Who is blessed forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment