Tuesday, August 6, 2019

1Timothy 6:8 - The Mantra of The Jerk

”But having food and clothing, by these we will be content.”

-Food and clothing.  Food and clothing.  That’s all I need.  And this lamp...  The mantra of the Jerk (1979 comedy starring Steve Martin...).  That’s all I need - that and something else.  More.  Living in the land of AND.  AND this.  AND that.  Something else, something more.  That’s what I need - and we redefine needs in terms of wants.  Often, it is not at all that I NEED this lamp.  It’s, I WANT this lamp.  I don’t really need it - but I want it.  I want it so much it feels like I need it.  I need it in order to be happy.  And being happy is what matters most.  My happiness, that’s what’s most important.

-But is it?  Is it really?  Is my ultimate happiness ultimate?  I think not.  Only one thing is necessary.  Only One is ultimate.  That is the Good Part which Mary found.  She chose the Good Part - Jesus.  And we do have a choice - it is up to me and you.  Happiness is a choice.  We can choose Jesus.  Or not.  We can choose to be content with what we have, and really, if we have something to eat, and clothes to wear, what more do we really need in order to make it through the day?  Paul suggests that this is all we really need - and technically, he is correct.  Daily bread, and raiment.  Obviously, the realities of life expand the boundaries of legitimate need somewhat, especially in the 21st century.  We need a job and a place to live (true, the Son of Man had no place to lay His head, but for most of us, and esp if we are raising kids, homelessness is not a good long term solution).  We could amend the list still further - some form of transportation, access to health care - these come to mind.  Those are more needs than wants.  Altho it is safe to say that need-based transportation solutions and those which are more want-based vary greatly.  Luxury cars by their very definition are luxuries - i.e. that which is beyond necessary.


-But we digress somewhat.  Paul’s point has been that real profit in this life - where I can’t take anything with me except my soul and the souls of those around me - is to be found in cultivating souls to become more like the God Who made us.  More like Him.  Godliness.  And the secret to being able to go all-in for godliness is to pair that with needs-based living.  Learning to live not above the level of my needs in the realm of luxury but rather cultivating a needs-based approach to life.  If I don’t need it, I don’t set my heart on it.  I don’t pursue it or invest mass quantities of time and money into it.  But it takes looking up and beyond the baubles and trinkets of this life, and gazing out into eternity and at our Savior.  Fixing our eyes on Jesus.  He is the real prize.  Gaining Him is what life is really all about.  AND Jesus - that was Paul's mantra.  May God give us eyes to see this truth before it is too late, before we squander this life on the unnecessary...

No comments:

Post a Comment