Friday, March 20, 2015

Philippians 2:24 - The One with Whom I have to do...


"But I am having been persuaded in [the] Lord that also I myself quickly will come." 

-’trust’ as it is rendered in the NASB is a little too weak and iffy.  Paul was pretty confident, he had been presuaded at some time in the past that some time in the not-too distant future he was going to be able to visit philippi.  He doesn’t say that he knows for sure that he is definitely coming, but neither does it sound like it was just wishful thinking on his part.  He is careful to use the ‘in the Lord’ qualifier, which re-emphasizes his general deference and yieldedness to the Lord (cf James 4.13-15), but also hints that his confidence about some future release hinges entirely on what God wants to do in and through him and his situation.  

-In fact, let’s be perfectly clear about this point.  EVERYTHING depends on God.  My very next breath depends on Him.  Everything depends on what God wants to do in and through me in every situation.  I may decide to not cooperate, but God will even use that to further His purposes.  No, that is not a license to sin and do whatever I want, but it is a truth which should humble me down to my knees before the One with Whom I have to do (Acts 17.28, Psalm 94.8-10, Daniel 5.23, Hebrews 4.13).

No comments:

Post a Comment