Monday, April 30, 2018

Galatians 5:25 - THE Walker

"If we are living by [the] Spirit, by [the] Spirit also may we be following."

-The Spirit of God is He Who gives us life (John 6.63), Who makes us alive spiritually to begin with.  Born of the Spirit - that is the second birth (John 3.5-8).  He blows into our lives, this invisible Rushing Wind from heaven, and breathes into our souls the new breath of eternal life.  But He comes as more than merely an eternal-life-Giver - as stupendous as that is in and of itself.  He is sent by our Savior to be our ever-present Helper, our Comforter, our Guide, our Teacher (John 14.16-17, 14.26-27, 15.26, 16.13).  He comes to give us power for living lives which are radically out-of-this-world, supernatural, overflowing with abundance, uncontainable, fruit out the wazoo.  It is the very life of the risen Christ unleashed in and through us on an unsuspecting world - to our families, our neighbors, our city, the nations.


-This then, God’s Holy Spirit, is not only the means by which we receive eternal life, He is the means by which we live out this life, by which we walk.  We don’t physically walk as much in the modern world, but walking, in Paul’s day, and even today in many parts of the undeveloped world, has always been the most fundamental means of transportation.  It is how we get around, how we live our lives, most of us unless somehow physically prevented from doing so.  If I am going to do something, anything productive, it will very likely involve me getting up out of whatever comfy chair or bed I am in and using my feet to move my body to whatever place the doing will take place.  Walking means living and doing, and whatever it is that I may be doing, I want to be doing that by the Spirit.  He is my Walker.  He is THE Walker.  I need Him.  I am trusting in Him to provide not only wisdom and guidance for the what, but also the necessary strength for the how.  And also to bring the increase.  Because apart from Him, I am spiritually powerless.  Impotent.  There is nothing I can do, not one thing.  No not one.  On my own I am confined to a spiritual wheelchair.  The Spirit is the One Who enables me to put one spiritual foot in front of the other.  I am following His lead.  I am doing nothing, going nowhere fast apart from Him.  It would be foolish to even attempt to do so.  Ask Him what to do.  Ask Him for wisdom.  Listen for an answer.  Ask Him to demonstrate His power as you get up out of that wheelchair and step out and trust Him for the ability to do whatever you do - so that in all things God's breathtaking goodness will be front and center.  Doing what God wants in the power which God richly supplies will always result in fruit out the wazoo.  Like these Galatians before us, we all need to be constantly reminded of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment