Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Galatians 5:26 - Not family-friendly

"May we not be coming to be conceited, calling out one another, envying one another."

-A life lived out using "The Walker" - in the Spirit and by the Spirit - is the way to give full expression to those desires of the Spirit which will naturally surpress the selfish passions and desires of my otherwise-crucified flesh.  The flesh is all about the threefold-self, me, me, me, me-first, me-better.  Looking at and looking out for number one - that’s what my flesh does best.  So Paul gives us further warning about that here, three Spirit-quenchers, not family-friendly, fleshy attitudes which manifest in three ways:

-Conceit.  Vainglory.  Empty arrogance.  Ways in which I think of or attempt to portray myself as better than the person next to me, considering ways in which I might somehow be superior to them.  Smarter.  More capable.  More fruitful.  More educated.  Better looking.  When I entertain or express these thoughts, when I place myself above my brother or sister I create the kind of distance which douses the fire of the Spirit and shuts down the love of God from manifesting in our relationship.  Truth is, the manifold perfections of the thrice-holy God, the thorough depravity of man, and the sublime majesty cross of Christ completely level the playing field.  In God’s eyes, I am not only not even the smallest fraction better or more beloved than any other jar of clay, I am in fact called to follow the example of Christ and make myself LOWER, to lower myself both in my own eyes and in real life as I embrace the role of servant of all.  I wrap myself in the servant’s towel and get up from the table to serve, to wash feet, to do the dirty thankless job, to serve even those who perhaps in worldly terms should be serving me - just like Christ, Who did not come to be served but rather to serve.  He was among us as One Who serves, taking the form of a slave.  Others-first, others-better - this is to be our posture towards our fellow believers, our motto, our mantra, and it is possible only as we walk by the Spirit.

-Calling out one another.  This is one way in which the conceit manifests itself.  Verbal challenges to authority, a critical unloving spirit which manifests in negative words which tear down my brother, which attacks or undermines their character or their ideas or their service, a readiness to jump on them with words which disagree or demean or discourage - these are all fueled by a me-better mindset.  In place of words (and deeds!) of loving service and building up, we have the Body being beaten and battered and bruised by verbally its own members.  Unwholesome words.  Things should not be this way, this is not the way of the Spirit.


-And last we have envying.  I want what you have - your stuff, your position, your station, your gifts or abilities or looks.  The flesh always wants what it doesn’t have, but we must for sure not let it come between us and a brother or sister in a way which focuses on what I don’t have in comparison to them.  Me-first.  Still looking at and looking out for number one.  The comparison trap turns opportunities for service and blessing into woe-is-me pity parties.  It creates distance between believers and shuts down the love which would otherwise show the world that we are true followers of Jesus.  No, things must not be like this.  We are called to so much more.  We are called to love and to lay our lives down for one another, to encourage and affirm and build up one another.  Others-first.  Others-better.  For the sake of Him Who truly is First and Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment