Tuesday, June 26, 2018

1John 1:9 - (Be)coming clean with the Fire-hydrant of forgiveness

"If we may be confessing the sins of us, faithful He is and righteous, in order that He should forgive us the sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

-It takes a definite humility to admit one’s mistakes, to embrace one’s sins.  That’s what confession is, agreeing (with God) about my sins.  Absent that it is impossible to find forgiveness for them.  Truly forgiven people are honest people.  The truth is in them, they swallowed it, they drank that proverbial koolaid (true koolaid, to be sure!), truth about their sin and need for to be forgiven, for a Savior.  And in finding forgiveness they find grace, the kind of grace which says, you’re ok - not the way you were but the way you are now in Christ, the truth that now I am fully accepted by God in Christ, no more condemnation, no more shame, no more pretending or hiding.  I can walk in the light and be honest about who I am knowing that not only am I forgiven but I am in the company of fellow forgivens, pilgrims all, a band of filthy spiritual beggars who have come to the only true source of Cleansing.  All of us, our sins tho they were many (and bright red as scarlet) have been forgiven and washed away.  But it takes real humility and honesty (coming out into the light!) to own my iniquities in such a way that I bring them to the only place where they can be washed-whiter-than - the foot of the Cross.


-Let us not miss the basis here for forgiveness and cleansing.  John again points us to the character of almighty God, Who He is.  God is Light, AND He is both faithful and righteous.  He is faithful - He keeps His Word, His promises - He has promised that those who turn to and trust in Jesus for forgiveness of their sins will be forgiven.  That is true, and God will never ever go back on His Word, or forsake those whose hearts are truly His, who have approached Him with an honest and contrite heart.  He will stand by them and strongly support them until the end of time, come what may.  But He is also righteous, just - always doing what is right.  In this context, it is right for Him to stand by His promises, but at the same time He has in His Son done everything necessary to comply with His standards of holiness.  He not simply turning a blind eye or looking the other way while we get away with murder or any other act of unrighteousness.  These have all been atoned for, every last one of them.  ALL gone.  Every single cotton-picking one of my sins has been covered over by the blood of Christ and totally cleansed when I came clean with God about the fact of my sinfulness.  I fall short.  Always have, always will.  But in Christ I am brought near, back to the One Who made me and loved me (not necessarily in that order).  Therein lies the critical event - coming to that place where I honestly admit that I am a sinner and in desperate need of grace, of forgiveness.  And the good news is that there is (He is!) a Fire-hydrant of grace and forgiveness just waiting to open up on me and wash it all away.  White as snow, whiter than snow, if that is even possible (it is!)... (cf Isaiah 1.18, Psalm 51.7)

No comments:

Post a Comment