Thursday, February 14, 2019

1Timothy 1:8 - A Lesser Babka?

”But we are having come to know that beautiful [is] the law, if anyone he may be using it lawfully...”

-The Law.  This is the law of Moses, and the words of the prophets.  This Law of the Lord is perfect (Psalm 19.7)!  We’re talking Old Testament - that’s all they had.  There were no Gospels or Pauline epistles to speak of.  Paul says it is beautiful.  IF one uses it lawfully.  Think about what God says about His Word as contained in the pages of the Old Testament, as it was penned and subsequently read by those saints of old, who looked forward to the coming of Messiah but who nevertheless found great beauty in God’s Words, in the pages of the Law and the Writings and the Prophets, in this Word about which God promised, “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it, for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success” (Joshua 1.8).  Yes, for them, the law of the Lord is perfect.  They declare, How blessed is the one who delights in the law of the Lord, who meditates on it day and nigh" (Psalm 1.2).  I delight to do Your will, O my God - Your law is within my heart (Psalm 40.8).  Open my eyes, Lord, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law (Psalm 119.18).  I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches (Psalm 119.14).  They are more desirable than much fine gold, and sweeter than honey (Psalm 19.10, 119.103).  The unfolding of Your words gives light (Psalm 119.130).  Oh how I love Your law - it is my meditation all the day (Psalm 119.97, 163).  I rise before dawn, I wait for Your words (Psalm 119.147).  My heart stands in awe of Your words (Psalm 119.161).  Lord, You are God, and Your words are truth (2Samuel 7.28).  I found Your words and I ate them, and they became for me a joy and the delight of my heart (Jeremiah 15.16).  Again, God promises that, “My word which goes forth from My mouth will not return to me empty, without accomplishing what I desire and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55.11).

-Yes, God’s Word - even when restricted to that portion which we refer to as the “Old” Testament - as in something which is more ancient?  Do we tend to think of it as somewhat inferior, a bit passé, outdated, antiquated, non-binding, irrelevant and obsolete even (altho we would never go on record as stating that)?  A lesser babka?  Is this not how many of us approach the Old Testament?  Is this not how the world looks at the Bible in general?  What word comes to mind when you think of “The Law”?  “Scripture”?  Does it conjure up images of something sweet?  Does your spiritual mouth begin to water?  What if the people of God - all of us - were to (re)discover the beauty of Scripture?  What if we, like Jeremiah, really discovered it, and learned to feast on it, more than a little-dab’ll-do-ya?  More than a hurried glance at a few verses before we scurry off to work or fall off to sleep?  What would it take for us to begin to see God’s Law more like tasty morsels we get to enjoy than pills we just need to swallow?  More like the drippings of the honeycomb than some unpleasant cough syrup?  More like piles of gold than a boring bunch of rules?  What would it take?

-One thing which does help is to use the Law, to approach it “lawfully”, Paul says.  Next verse...

No comments:

Post a Comment