Thursday, July 13, 2017

Ephesians 5:28 - On Body Building...

"Thus they are obligated also [the men] to be loving their own women as their own bodies.  The [one] loving his own woman is loving himself.’

-The things which I can do to love and serve my wife and to help her make progress towards greater holiness, these I certainly ought to do because I do love her, but if for no other reason I can at least do them because I care about how I look.  Why would any sane clear-thinking man want to engage in or otherwise contribute to anything that would somehow make him look bad?  Is there a self-respecting guy among us who neglects his appearance, in so far as he is able?  We care about ourselves for hours at the gym and in front of the mirror, lifting and shaping and posing and fixing and admiring (at least when we’re younger and singler).  To love and take care of my own woman/wife is to care about myself.  I neglect her to my own detriment.  When she lives in a way or manifests that which is less-than-holy, when she shows up all spotty and wrinkly in her spirit, it looks bad on me as well.  But surely God has endued and blessed my wife with unspeakable, breathtaking beauty and gentleness.  He has worked into her soul a wondrously beautiful holiness.  Surely she is my better half, the fairer sex, the pinnacle of God’s creation.  She was made to show off the blindingly glorious goodness of almighty God - my job (what I GET to do) as husband, self-serving tho it may be (at least on a certain level), is to do all that I can to help make her shine!  Building up my wife not only builds up the body of Christ, it also looks good on me...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment